7-DNA Forums

| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Polls | Refresh Page | Forum Instructions | Forum Rules |
Bragging www.7-dna.com forums / Bragging /

Just joined - Westfield FW400

| 9 Sep 2013 18:12 | #1
Planning a blat

Hi all

Just to introduce myself and our car. My brother and I have a Westfield FW400.

We have owned it for about 18 months and are still working on it.

Here is a picture of it on a Rallye in France:

FX400
It is all about what it's not!
| 9 Sep 2013 18:25 | #2
At Le Bounty

G'Day and welcome to 7-DNA Mr Crunchie
Storm Car Covers
stormcarcovers.co.uk
Never Knowingly Under Covered
| 9 Sep 2013 18:44 | Edited by: Eugene | #3
Heading South

Welcome - do add more info about your car - will be interesting to see more details
Eugene
Le Presidente
Le BOG Club
| 9 Sep 2013 20:28 | #4
Planning a blat

OK. A bit more on the car.

The car was designed by Martin Ogilvie the former Lotus formula 1 designer.

The car has a carbon/ kevlar honeycomb sandwich chassis. FW stands for Feather weight and the 400 was meant to be its weight in Kgs, currently it weighs about 410kgs wet. It is one of 5 cars built by Westfield.

It has a Rover K series 1800 engine currently giving 156 bhp. It has jenvey throttle bodies. We have a new K series with a VHPD head built by hellier to go in with dry sump and it should produce 210+ and will be in, hopefully by November. It has a Hewland LD 200 5 speed transaxle which is a semi stressed part of the chassis. It is a dogbox, which gives me my handle (Crunchie Gears). It has an engine speed prop shaft.

On this particular car the bodywork is all carbon.

The wheels are custom Image wheels with 3 studs. The uprights are aluminium. The shockers are Penske and are not adjustable as they where valved for the car.

The car is very noisy or should I say the gearbox is! When the car is on a blatt the cars in front and behind can hear the gearbox whine and changing gear is like a firework going off.

That said, it is a great car and I cannot wait to get the new engine in and it wrapped in Gold Leaf colours.
| 9 Sep 2013 20:46 | #5
Driving through town
Welcome and a lovely Westy you have!
| 10 Sep 2013 12:22 | #6
Driving through town

Welcome
| 14 Sep 2013 21:54 | #7
On country roads

I'm new too as well as a Westy owner, nice car - mine is somewhat older than yours sadly and not as high spec.... Still I can always dream....
Stop Junk Calls
http://stopjunkcalls.org.uk/forum/index.php
| 1 Oct 2013 13:49 | #8
Planning a blat
Crunchie Gears:
Just to introduce myself and our car. My brother and I have a Westfield FW400.

We have owned it for about 18 months and are still working on it

Hi Mr Crunchie,

I've got an FW400 too - not sure I have your current email - can you ping me? I'm interested to talk about dry sumping and other mods.

Cheers, dom
| 2 Oct 2013 21:53 | #9
Planning a blat

durouxd
Dom we have spoken before.

I know your car, it is the white one? You have a great vid on utube doing the ring.

The dry sump has been a challenge. We have had to design and make new engine mounts and move the steering column.

We also may have some things to talk about as Aeroman and I have a bonnet mould and am looking to doing the same for the rear end and the front cycle wings (and lose the Westie angle iron mounts).

We did speak of meeting up some time; we should do it.

The car is off the road for now. The engine is being fitted as well as running repairs.

I do not see how to send a PM on this site but have your mates email somewhere so will send one tomorrow.

Speak soon

Crunchie (Paul)
| 3 Oct 2013 10:00 | #10
Planning a blat
Crunchie Gears

Thanks for the update. Definitely we need to meet and he sooner the better, I'll send you a date. Mine is also having its.mechanicals refreshed and dry sumped at the moment so we are following similar development paths.

rgds dom
| 7 Oct 2013 20:55 | #11
Driving through town

Crunchie
Never realised Westfield ONLY made 5 fw 400's, remember reading a test in autocar where they compared it to CatR500K and a few other similar quick KC's.
Briefly considered one but it was Very expensive if I remember correctly. If you havent seen this test I can dig it up if you want.
Look forward to seeing your car sometime. Only ever seen the original westie FW400 demonstrator and one other car at Stoneleigh KC show a few years ago.
Best
Mal
| 7 Oct 2013 21:27 | #12
Planning a blat

s47
Mal

Thanks for the offer of a copy of the article. I may well have it as the car was used for some of the articles, so I collected them and I think I have most of them. But you never know.

As for the car at Stoneliegh, if it was last year and silver it would have been our car.
Bragging www.7-dna.com forums / Bragging / Just joined - Westfield FW400 Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

(?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 433 [18 Aug 2015 17:40]
Guests - 433 / Members - 0